Sunday, September 19, 2010

Udon noodles

Anders and I made some udon noodles for dinner tonight.

We started with 250g of bread flour and 30g of corn starch (the recipe I based this on used tapioca starch, but we don't have any of that in the house). I mixed that up, and then separately mixed 5 oz of lukewarm water with 1 teaspoon of table salt.

I added half of the salt water to the dry ingredients, and tried to form a dough ball. I kept adding more of the salt water until I barely had a dough ball. This took most, but not all, of the rest of the water. It really seemed like it wouldn't be enough water, but with some kneading of the dough, I managed to incorporate pretty much all of the dry ingredients. The goal was to get a dough ball while using as little water as possible.

I put the dough ball into a 1 gallon ziplock, squeezing as much air out as possible. Then, I kneaded the dough by stomping on the bag with my feet! Anders helped, though truth be told, it turns out that thirty pounds isn't quite enough to do much with this dough. When the dough mostly filled the bag (so that the dough was somewhere between a quarter and a half inch thick), I opened up the bag, folded the dough in thirds like a letter, and then Anders and I stomped again. We did two more times (four stompings total, separated by three letter-foldings), and then I set the bag aside for a half hour.

After the dough had rested, I took it out of the bag, sliced it in half, and ran each half through the Kitchenaid pasta roller attachment at thickness 1 (as wide as it goes—about an eighth of an inch thick) very slowly several times. Anders and I dusted each side of each piece of dough with flour, and then folded it in half twice length-wise. I then cut each of these into noodles with a sharp knife (aiming for square cross-sectional noodles, but ending up with something a bit wider). I dusted the noodles with a bit more flour, and set them aside.



I brought a gallon of water to a boil, and tossed the noodles in. Shortly after the water returned to a boil, the noodles were happily floating at the top. I gave them another three minutes, and then dumped them into a strainer. I rinsed them with cold water until they were cool to the touch.


Anders thought the noodles were perfect as is.


For Sigrid and me, however, I took things a bit further. I sauteed some beet greens in garlic, tossed in some spicy tofu from First Korean Market, added some kochujang and some cooking sake, and then added the noodles.


And we even have some noodles to spare.

1 comment:

  1. Those look so darn delicious--I'm dying for Korean food!

    ReplyDelete