Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Sunflower: Day 173 (harvest)

Today was harvest day.




I tested one seed...

...and it sure did seem like a sunflower seed, though raw.


So I harvested!


The boys and I rubbed the seeds out.




After washing, I simmered them in heavily salted water for about 20 minutes...

...then let them dry a bit...

...and roasted them in a coffee roaster at 325°F for 30 minutes. (The recipe I found said to roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring often. The coffee roaster stirred continuously!)



The total yield was quite small, which I blame on the flower head never fully opening. Some seeds didn't have room to ripen fully, and some probably never got pollinated at all because the bees couldn't get to some of them. But the seeds we got taste good!

No comments:

Post a Comment